The Georgia Budget and Policy Institute (GBPI) strives to be an anti-racist research and advocacy organization that advances lasting solutions to expand economic opportunity and well-being for all Georgians. We examine the state’s budget, taxes and public policies to provide thoughtful analysis and responsible solutions that address inequities in our state. We educate the public about complex issues confronting Georgia. We activate Georgians to call for policy solutions that put people first. Our aim is to inspire informed debate and decision-making, advancing our vision of a fair and inclusive Georgia where everyone can prosper.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for supporting GBPI’s media relations work, writing a variety of materials for GBPI’s audience as well as supporting campaigns communications. This full-time position allows GBPI to stay in the news and equip our partners for media appearances and more, while keeping our email newsletter fresh and informative. Duties of this role include writing, pitching reporters and drafting email content on a regular basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of those the Communications Manager will be asked to perform:
- Media Relations
- Drafting press releases, pitches, media advisories and other media-facing collateral.
- Supporting the logistics of press conferences and press calls.
- Building relationships and engage with key media outlets.
- Supporting staff who serve as spokespeople for GBPI.
- Campaign Support
- Drafting talking points, email copy, fact sheets and other collateral to support GBPI’s campaigns, including the Georgia Work Credit and People-Powered Prosperity.
- Email Newsletter
- Write content for GBPI’s email newsletters.
- Manage the building and targeting of GBPI’s emails.
- A/B test content when appropriate.
- Other Duties
- Write other GBPI content, including blogs, op-eds, fact sheets and more.
- Provide technical assistance for media and writing or other help as needed to GBPI staff members, new hires and interns.
- Participate in various GBPI internal meetings, including those related to planning and program execution, staff development, partner support or other topics as they arise and as appropriate.
- Support the planning and execution of GBPI events, including Insights conference and Policy Forum among others.
- Actively participate in GBPI’s Racial and Ethnic Equity & Inclusion conversations and workshops and contribute to building a culture of racial equity at the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned related to the mission of GBPI.
- Understands and is committed to goals of racial and ethnic equity and inclusion.
- Able to synthesize complex information related to structural racism and potential policy solutions to share with media and in written communications.
- Commitment to working with BIPOC-owned media outlets with BIPOC audiences.
- Demonstrates keen self-awareness and has done deep personal reflection on understanding oppression and privilege and how it has impacted their life.
Project & Workload Management
- Able to create increasingly complex project plans and multiple projects at once time.
- Breaks down a work task/project into process steps and executes them effectively.
- Able to meet both long-term and short-term deadlines.
- Consistently identifies, gathers and applies relevant information to their work.
- Demonstrates commitment to the mission of the organization as a whole and alignment with organizational values.
Communication & Interpersonal Savvy
- Uses effective written and oral communication with internal staff, teams and community served.
- Able to adapt communications for a variety of audience and to write in diverse voices.
- Demonstrates empathy and listens carefully; encourages others to share their thoughts, especially in collaborative settings.
- Demonstrates awareness of the political and historical context surrounding GBPI’s work.
- Proactively seeks opportunities to improve work.
- Adapts effectively to changing policy and media landscapes.
Education and Experience
At least three years relevant experience. Qualified candidates will have experience with media relations and strong writing skills, as well as some knowledge of Mailchimp or other CRMs. Ideal candidates will have social media and copyediting experience.
The Communications Manager reports to the Director of Strategic Communications.
Salary range is mid to upper 60K, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability, retirement, generous vacation and sick leave and holiday schedules.
You can view the full job description here. We are accepting applicants residing in metro Atlanta and Georgia and those relocating to Georgia by January 2022. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and a writing sample of 2-3 pages to Caitlin Highland at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Communications Manager.”
GBPI is an equal opportunity employer, and as such takes affirmative action to ensure that discrimination does not occur on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.